Question not answered and still need to contact us?

Send us your comments.


What is the purpose of the Foundation?

As explained in the Book of Discipline of the United Methodist Church, the Foundation exists to promote planned giving programs on behalf of local churches and the conference, and to invest and administer funds in a manner consistent with the Social Principles of the United Methodist Church.

What services does the Foundation provide?

From loans and money management for churches, to estate planning help for individuals, the Foundation offers many services. Go to the Individuals page or the Churches page and view the links for in-depth information.


How can our church set up an account?

The Foundation offers custodial accounts for United Methodist churches and institutions within the Louisiana Conference. To open an account, complete the Account Information Form and mail it in with your first deposit.  We will send you the Investment Management Agreement to return to us that includes signatures for the account and further instructions.

How can we withdraw money from our account?

To withdraw money from your account, complete the Request for Withdrawal of Funds and fax it to us at (225) 343-0756 or email it.  The form must include your two authorized signatures.

How can we make a deposit?

To make a deposit, complete the Deposit Ticket and mail it to us with your check.  

Who are the signers on our church account?

We require each church to authorize two signers on each account. To obtain this information, please contact Tamara Bello in our Accounting Office at (225) 387-8362.

How can we set up direct deposit?

Using direct deposit saves both paper and postage, so the Foundation encourages its use. To set up direct deposit, complete the Direct Deposit Authorization Form, sign it, and mail to us at 8337 Jefferson Hwy., Baton Rouge, LA 70809. Or scan it and email it.

How often are statements distributed?

Paper statements are mailed on a quarterly basis within the first ten days of a new quarter. However, church staff can look up church accounts any time by signing up for online statements. When a new statement is ready, the designated person at the church will receive an email telling him or her it’s available for viewing.

Are statements available online?

To sign up for free online statements, complete the Online Statement Authorization form and mail to us at 8337 Jefferson Hwy., Baton Rouge, LA 70809. Or scan it and email it. If you have questions, call Rachel Baio at (225) 387-8362.

How can we get a copy of our church’s account statement or information on our account balance if we do not subscribe to thefree online service?

For information on your account, call Tamara Bello in our Accounting Office at (225) 387-8362.


What type of loans does the Foundation offer?

The Foundation offers two types of low cost, competitive loans to creditworthy churches and agencies in the Louisiana Conference: deposit secured, and loans secured by the first mortgage on property. Loans can be used for construction/expansion, refinancing, or purchase. Go to our Loans page for more detailed information.

What does the average Foundation loan cost?

We do not charge points, origination fees, document preparation fees, and many of the other fees that typical banks charge. We do not require an appraisal, and our interest rates are usually comparable to your local bank, if not lower. For an illustration showing the fees and costs of a $1 million loan, click here.

How do we apply for a church loan?

To apply for a loan, complete the Loan Application and mail to us at 8337 Jefferson Hwy., Baton Rouge, LA 70809, with the items requested on the application.  Or scan it and email it. If you have questions, please call Tracie Wharton at (225) 387-8362.


What is planned giving?

Planned giving is a making a gift in lifetime or at death as part of a donor’s overall financial and/or estate planning. For more information, go to our Planned Giving page.

Are there different types of planned gifts?

There are three types of planned gifts: 1) outright gifts using appreciated assets; 2) lifetime income gifts that pay a rate of return to the donor for life and then after the donor’s death, to the named beneficiary, and 3) bequests in your will, where a donor bequeaths an amount to a beneficiary upon the donor’s death.  For more information on types of gifts, go to our How to Give page.

Is there a minimum gift amount for setting up a planned gift?

Any amount of money can be left to your church through the beneficiary clause of your will, retirement plan or insurance policy. The minimum amount for a charitable gift annuity is $10,000, and minimum age of the donor is 65. The minimum for a trust is $100,000.

What is an endowment?

An endowment is a permanent fund which produces income for a designated ministry in perpetuity. Beneficiaries receive income from the endowment, but the principal remains. Minimum amount for an endowment is $10,000.

How do we set up an endowment, and what does it cost? 

Anyone may set up an endowment with the Foundation, and it costs nothing, other than the initial deposit.  Many people have set up endowments in memory of others and will invite others to contribute to the endowment. The principal is never touched, although income from the fund may be used for charitable purposes.

How do I set up a planned gift?

There are several types of planned gifts available to donors wishing to give to United Methodist churches and ministries. Setting up your planned gift is easy and there is no cost. Call Rob Fairly or Chris Spencer at (225) 346-1535 or Bob Carrell at (318) 518-6325 to discuss your situation and find out which method is best for you.


Who can help our church with an annual campaign?

For assistance with annual campaigns, Rob Fairly or Chris Spencer in the southern half of our state or Bob Carrell in the northern half will be happy to provide guidance. Our staff has handled numerous aspects of annual campaigns, depending on the needs of the individual church. Go to our Annual Campaign page for more information or to submit a request.

Where can we get brochures to promote giving in our church?

The Foundation offers a myriad of brochures on giving, including end-of-year gifts and several types of planned giving. To discuss the type of brochure your church needs, call (225) 346-1535 or email Kelly Johannessen.

Can someone speak to our church about stewardship?

Rob Fairly, Chris Spencer and Bob Carrell are available to speak to church congregations, Sunday School classes or other church gatherings. Topics discussed are usually either annual giving or planned giving. Churches in south Louisiana call Rob Fairly or Chris Spencer at (225) 346-1535, or Bob Carrell at (318) 518-6325 to get on the schedule.


Where can I get information on my seminary scholarship stipends?

For information on scholarships and the status of stipend distribution email Tracie Wharton.

How can I request a grant?

The Foundation is proud of the fact that it double-tithes its annual income to others through grants. If you have a grant request, complete the Grant Application and mail it to us with the attachments listed on the application at 8337 Jefferson Hwy., Baton Rouge, LA 70809. For more information, go to the Grants Page on our website or call Tracie Wharton at (225) 387-8362.


How can I be added or removed from your mailing list?

To sign up for any of our regular mailings, go to the Home page and complete the online form.
To be removed from the mailing list, call us at (225) 346-1535 or email us and tell us which publication or you no longer wish to receive.